Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Gran Torino


Today we are in Turin, the city of the Holy Shroud, and the city of St John Bosco.  The Shroud has got a lot of coverage this year, but it is well worth visiting the Basilica of Mary, Help of Christians, the Motherhouse of the Salesians.  St John Bosco, his co-foundress St Mary Mazzarello, and his protege, St Dominic Savio are all entombed in the church.   To be honest, this church is perhaps one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.  It is well designed, devotional and colourful - it would really appeal to children (to the child in you!) - maybe that was Don Bosco's idea (see below).   The first time I visited the basilica I was gobsmacked and felt so poor - why can they have beautiful, artistic, prayerful and just wonderful churches here in Italy (and other places), while in Ireland many of our churches are of poor quality, and as for our modern churches: well, a stick of dynamite is the only answer there!

When I was in university, when discerning my vocation, I looked at the Salesians as a possibility.  They had the chaplaincy in our college, so I had plenty of contact with them.  I was very impressed by a number of them. They absolutely loved Don Bosco - for a youngster with little devotion to him it was a bit off-putting - but that was me, not them.  Now, looking back on it, I admire them for the real desire to stay close to their founder (their father!) and to live his charism as best as they could - if only all orders did the same. One priest in particular impressed me - Fr Michael Hicks.  He was an old man by the time I met him, and he was helping out in the chaplaincy.  Every few days I'd ramble in after a lecture for a chat and cup of tea.  He never had fresh milk, only the powered stuff, and while it coloured the tea, it did nothing for the temperature - I'd scald myself most of the time - but no bother on Fr Hicks.  When a group of us set up a Legion of Mary praesidium in the college, he was right behind us and served as our spiritual director.  He had many years of experience, and had travelled a great deal, so he had plenty of stories which we loved to hear.  He was a real son of Don Bosco.  He is gone to God, and I pray he has a high place in heaven with his founder.

So Fr Hicks led me to have great regard for Don Bosco.  As I read more about him, I saw his relevance for our times - particularly his visions.  His vision of the Church as a great barque caught in a storm, with the pope leading it to a safe haven between the two pillars of the Eucharist and Our Lady has proved providential.  In the basilica here, that vision is depicted in vibrant colour.


Some inspirational videos on Don Bosco, first the vision, then a reflection on his life:


No comments:

Post a Comment