Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Is This The End?


Back from Italy after a wonderful few days of prayer.  I have to say the north of Italy is a mine of gems when it comes to shrines and sanctuaries.  As you know we spent a few days in Padua, at the sanctuary of St Anthony - even in these cold weeks crowds of pilgrims throng the Basilica.  It was a great encouragement to prayer and meditation.  If you are planning a holiday or pilgrimage, consider Padua.

Over the week I was reading Michael O'Brien's novel Father Elijah.  I had heard about it when it first came out.  Earlier this year a friend of mine read it and was gushing praise: he bought me a copy for my birthday - I finally got time to read it.  What a read!  I was hooked from the first page.  I see from a brief google search that a few bloggers have reviewed it (good review here), so forgive me if I throw in my two-pence worth.  The story is good - it is a fictional account of what might happen at the end  when the Antichrist comes.  Reading it I see it is very close to Robert Hugh Benson's Lord of the World.   In literary terms, there are weaknesses, the first conversation between Fr Elijah and his prior in chapter one does not work, but there are also gems: the story of Fr Elijah and his wife in the chapter entitled "Ruth" is exquisite and tender.   I won't reveal what happens, but O'Brien avoids determinism when it comes to the one who becomes the Antichrist and reminds us we all have a choice.  If you have not read it, do (and I'm not on commission from the author).

The whole question of the Antichrist is one which pops up every now and again, usually accompanied by speculation as to who he (or she) will be, and if they are alive now.  Is this the end, many ask?  Well, it will be when you come to die!  During the last presidential election in the US many thought one candidate resembled the Antichrist.  I didn't go for that, although I have to admit when that candidate was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing the word referring to the Antichrist: "And the whole world will fall down before him" immediately came to mind.  

Do I think Obama is the Antichrist?  No, I don't think so.  But like many before him, his rise and the worship he inspires in many stands as a warning to us that we fall for the image and the meaningless word all too often, and at times at our peril.  The Antichrist will be charming, kind, attractive and offer a new vision, a new hope, and people will fall for it hook, line and sinker.  Yet behind it all, there will be nothing but the devious machinations of the devil.  That is why we must stay close to Christ, to the Gospel and to prayer.  In O'Brien's book we see some people who do not fall for the charade, not all of them religious, but people of good will with their senses about them.  Interestingly, all of them have suffered and that suffering has brought wisdom.   Perhaps it is those who have come to recognise the face of Jesus Christ and truth through suffering, who will see through the Christ-mask the Antichrist will wear. 

So closeness to the Cross is important - it is wisdom, as St Paul tells us.  It also reminds us that when it comes to life, salvation and the difficulties we face, the easy solution, the simple answer, are not always the best - in fact the easy solution may well be the worst: we see that already as our secular governments peddle the easy solution as the most compassionate, but yet the most destructive and immoral.  Perhaps the Antichrist will be the man of easy solutions and many will think that is wisdom.

My friend suggested a movie based on the book would be brilliant: "The Fraternity can do something about that!" he said.  Well, that will be hard at the moment, we do not have a production company, but we can dream - and pray.  But, if you have read the book, any ideas for actors?  Who would play Fr Elijah, the humble Carmelite priest sent on a mission by the pope to stop the Antichrist?  Do I hear Michael Caine???  Robert de Niro??  Or Al Pacino???  Matt Damon...(The Elijah Ultimatum? No way!!).  Tom Cruise????   I think it's time for my Holy Hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment