Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bullock, Football and Faith



I must begin this post with a grovelling apology to my friend and EWTN co-host Fr Owen Gorman.  I was up visiting him on Sunday evening, and he had planned to show me a movie he loved - The Blind Side.  Now I have to admit that I was not keen to watch it.  I'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock, and American sports movies leave me cold, and I think you already know what I think about Hollywood Christian movies.  So I was phobic when all three collided in The Blind Side.  "Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for her performance," I was reminded.  Not a great argument really, I said to myself, given some of the pitiful choices that have been made down the years.  But full of charm and charity, Father persuaded me.

Well, I got a kick in a teeth and rightly deserved!  I should be more open.  After the first few minutes I was hooked.   I have to say it was wonderful viewing, and Sandra Bullock - well, she deserved her Oscar - magnificent performance.  Having seen her in Speed and other such movies I was put off, but she shines in The Blind Side, God bless her.   If you have not seen this movie, do so.

Based on a true story, it relates how Leigh Anne and Sean Touhy, a Memphis couple, met and helped a young man, Michael Oher, and helped him discover his amazing talent for American football.  Oher is one of America's great footballers today, hence the popularity of the movie.  I was impressed by the kindness of the Touhy family - they did not take Michael in "for charity" as if he was a charity case, but rather as an obligation to assist those who need help.  They opened their hearts to him and he found a home there.  I'm sure there may be those who do not like the story - black kid saved by middle class couple - to see it in such terms is to miss the point and distort the reality.  The character of Leigh Anne was first to admit that Michael actually helped her family, rather than the other way around.   There was no preening or back slapping, they did not even think about it in terms of charity, the Tuohys just did it, it was natural, no big deal.  Such is the Christian way.  

Michael Oher and his family

The movie missed out on the Best Picture Oscar - sad to see that, though the movie that won, The Hurt Locker was an amazing movie.  Having seen his performance, Quinton Aaron, who played Michael Oher, deserved at least a nomination for Best Actor - it was his first lead role and did very well. 

So now, I'm converted!   I will have to just put my film prejudices to one side and give everything a go - well, almost everything, I will draw the line at the dodgy stuff - and Woody Allen (I do believe "SmashingtheCrew" may be on to me having said that.....).   Any recommendations, dear readers?  That said, we have our Film Club in Dublin this evening - we're watching and talking about The Agony and the Ecstasy.  If you have any ideas for movies for future meetings, let me know.  I will have to schedule The Blind Side in the near future.  In the meantime, get thee to a DVD store and rent thee The Blind Side.  Kudos to the very Rev. Gorman...

4 comments:

  1. "If you have any ideas for movies for future meetings, let me know."

    Did you ever see "Oh, God!" with John Denver and George Burns? Sadly both now dead - RIP.

    It is very difficult getting the DVD in Region 2 version to play in the UK (or Europe).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't like Woody Allen you're not a real film buff - it's as simple as that.

    Did I mention I once slept in Mia Farrow's bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, thanks for the suggestion. I think I saw it years ago - I have the image of God smoking a cigar - I think that might have been good old George.

    Leah, re Fr Owen, I agree with you, as does he!

    Smashing, I thought you might say so. But perhaps for Lent I will watch a Woodie Allen movie. I presume when you were sleeping in Mia Farrow's bed she was elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete