Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"There's Geometry Behind This"

Annual candlelight procession in honour of Our Lady of Lourdes on Kreqratoueen

Imagine my delight as I was reading the online headlines - it seems a certain portion of the world is reeling after the FBI is said to have disclosed files which confirm that they were investigating a number of incidents possibly indicating the existence of extra terrestrial life, and confirming the legendary crash at Roswell.  I say delight because I think it is all just a great laugh altogether.  I had to look at the date to make sure it was not April 1st, and then when I saw it was not I wondered if somewhere someone had not yet adopted the Gregorian Calendar.

Now as I say that I am not ruling out the existence of life outside this planet.  Even the powers that be in the Vatican say that it is possible - we cannot limit God's creation to this little plot of earth.  However, I have to lay my cards on the table and say that I am an agnostic when it comes to all this.  Now I do love a good Science Fiction movie - well I did when I was a child, they don't hold quite the same fascination for me now, though I would settle down with a bowl of popcorn and some good company for the lovely Signourney Weaver and the Alien movies - great night's entertainment.  But as for flying saucers, big-headed aliens (cf Paul movie), I'm afraid I am most definitely an agnostic.

But this is not mere biased opinion, it is my theological opinion.  I do not rule out the existence of other life forms in the universe, but I do believe in the basic message of creation - that mankind is created as the pinnacle of creation with an eternal destiny to be with God and to share with Him eternal life, that the universe was created for man.  Now that does not rule out other life forms, but I believe, if they exist, they would probably be insect or animal, or perhaps no greater than microbiological life forms.    My opinion may indeed change if I ever meet an ET life form which is as intelligent, or more intelligent that your average human (although given the state the world is in at the moment, that might not be hard at all!). 

All that said, as I think about it, a few aliens would be handy to have around.  A new frontier to preach the Gospel, "Jesus died for you too, dear Klingon".  The Catholic Church would indeed fulfil her destiny as being truly universal.  American Papist would be speculating on who the new bishop of Karzon Sector 7 Diocese might be, and no doubt the Archdiocese of the Ebbulantia Nebula would be seeking Patriarchal Status.  And of course there would blogs exposing the inauthencity of the alleged apparitions of Our Lady to an ewok on Jejugglraitta  because Our Lady does not appear on alien soil.  Papal trips would have a more interesting dimension. And then of course the media would be speculating on when the Cardinals would elect the first Betazoid or Cardassian Pope, and the liberals would be looking for the ordination of Wampas.  All this and the Ssi-Ruuk Ordinariate too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment