Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tuam Update

I cannot leave the issue of the Tuam story without linking to a marvellous piece by Caroline Farrow over on her blog. It provides an excellent summary of the issue and responds to the many accusations which have since been proved false. I note RTE journalist Philip Boucher-Hayes comes in for some criticism, correctly in my opinion. 

As one commentator said recently: journalists are becoming less and less accountable. Indeed one person said to me in the last couple of days that journalists today are good at creating hysteria but not so hot on facts. While I am no fan of censorship, having observed numerous cases of media hysteria and shoddy journalism in recent years, some of it malign, I am inclined to think that certain measures may need to be considered when it comes to the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment